Sunday, August 24, 2008

Get To Know Me Speech

Lately I have been spending so much time reading blogs. Finally, I decided I need to have my own. I was always worried I wouldn't have enough time. Luckily, I have my handy dandy laptop these days so I have my computer everywhere I go. Reading these other blogs makes me feel like there must be something therapeutic in blogging. However, I have to much studying to do tonight. So I will start my first blog with my very first speech for speech class tomorrow. This is to be about an event, person, place or thing who has made me who I am today. Basically a get to know me speech. Keep in mind I have no formal training in speech yet. This is simply an intro for the second day of class.

Hi, my name is Lara I am twenty-eight years old. My husband, Marc and I have two awesome girls. Chenoa who is six and Kylee she is one. After having Kylee I couldn’t wait to hit the gym. When Kylee was six weeks old I started walking on the treadmill. After about a week I was bored. So I started to run. I had done a little running before but I was never an avid runner. At about the same time I saw an ad for the Rock and Roll ½ marathon. This was perfect for me, I thought, it was only 13 miles. This sounded so much better to me than 26 miles a full marathon. My sister has been trying to get me to run a marathon for many years. I signed up for the ½ marathon that day. I also enlisted my mother in law to run with me who was 59 at the time. Because I had a goal it was easy for me to create a plan and stick with it. I came up with a plan using a training web site and condensed it a bit. I had only seven weeks to train most train in twelve.
We had so much fun. They had bands every mile. My favorite part was a man watching on the side who had a large stereo. He was playing the Rocky anthem over and over. That was at about mile 10. It was just the right time. I ran the ½ marathon in about 2 ½ hours. We immediately started planning for the next year. I am starting my training now for the ½ marathon in October.
After running my marathon I realize I can do anything I put my mind too. That is when I decided I could go to school to be an RN despite being so busy. It was important to me to do this for myself. I ran the event in October 2007 and I started school here at Las Positas three months later in January 2008. All my mommy friends thought I was crazy. I was going to school full time, working part time, and being a busy mom. I will be applying to nursing school starting January 2009. It’s something I want to do and I am doing it in record time. Running the ½ marathon has made me a determined person.

No comments: